Thread: Tesla Hits Parked Police Car; Driver Blames Autopilot

Tesla Hits Parked Police Car; Driver Blames Autopilot

Source: AutoVerdict
    May 30, 2018
    by Nick Saporito

A Tesla Model S owner says his vehicle crashed into a unmanned, parked police car in Laguna Beach, California. The driver also claims Tesla's semi-autonomous Autopilot feature was enabled during the crash.*

The incident left the Model S substantially damaged, to the point it appears all airbags deployed. Laguna Beach*Police Sgt. Jim Cota also states the police cruiser, a Ford Interceptor SUV, is totaled.*

Tesla has not confirmed the driver's allegations regarding the status of Autopilot.*

"Tesla has always been clear that Autopilot doesn't make the car impervious to all accidents, and before a driver can use Autopilot, they must accept a dialogue box which states that 'Autopilot is designed for use on highways that have a center divider and clear lane markings,'" Tesla said in a statement.*

Another Tesla driver crashed in Utah earlier this month while Autopilot was enabled. In that incident the Model S was traveling at 60 mph when it crashed into a fire truck stopped at a stop light. Investigators have confirmed Autopilot was enabled just prior to the crash in this case.*

Two additional fatal accidents have occurred with Autopilot enabled. One in California in March and a 2016 crash in Florida.*

Read full article at AutoVerdict

[Return to AutoVerdict blog]

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    Another day another autopilot crash?

This seems to validate Cadillac's approach with Supercruise, limiting it to highways where the systems already has detailed maps. No doubt there will be Supercruise accidents (no systems is perfect, including human drivers), and it will be interesting (albeit unfortunate -- never nice to see somebody have an accident!) to compare. My gut is that Supercruise's intentional limitations and its insistence that driver's eyes are on the road will make these kinds of crashes far rarer -- I can't imagine a driver seeing their cars headed for a parked police car not intervening!

My Vehicle
    2017 Camaro RS, 2016 Corvette, 2014 Volt
    I see beta testing is proceeding as expected.