Thread: Ford Calls Sedan Slashing a 'Reinvention'

Ford Calls Sedan Slashing a 'Reinvention'

Source: AutoVerdict
    May 11, 2018
    by Nick Saporito

Ford Motor Company is still on the defensive regarding its recent announcement it will eliminate nearly all of its sedans from its lineup. The company says the headlines have been misleading, because this move is about it "reinventing" the American car.*

CEO Jim Hackett and Chairman Bill Ford spoke with shareholders regarding the decision Thursday at the company's annual shareholders regarding the decision to eliminate the Fiesta, Fusion, Focus and Taurus from its lineup.*

"This doesn't mean we intend to lose those customers," Automotive News*reports*Hackett said. "We want to give them what they're telling us they really want. We're simply reinventing the American car."

Since announcing the death of most of its sedan lineup, Ford has not confirmed how many "reinvented" vehicles will reach its portfolio. The company has previously confirmed plans for a new Ford Bronco, a new small utility and a battery-electric crossover. It's unclear which new products are intended to indirectly replace the slew of sedans being removed from the lineup.*

Critics point to the radical decision as short-sided, with it having the potential of Ford leaving lower-end buyers stranded.*

Ford now says about 90 percent of the company's North American product mix will be utilities and trucks by 2020. The mix change comes as little surprise given the company will only have the Mustang and Focus Active wagon in its North American lineup by 2020.*

Read full article at AutoVerdict

[Return to AutoVerdict blog]

I drive a Mazda5 -- a style of vehicle that North Americans did not really take to when it was offered here. But -- it's kind of what people seem to actually want. It has a higher hip point, so you sit upright, but it's lower than a CUV so you don't need to climb up into it and it handles like a tall hatchback (because that's exactly what it is). It's incredibly useful and flexible -- especially for it's size. It can carry 6 passengers (really a 4+2 -- adults are not going to be happy in the third row) which is handy for kid carpooling. With seats folded flat, it can carry a ton of stuff fairly easily. I love the side sliding doors, but suspect that the mini-minivan association is partly why people stayed away in droves from this kind of vehicle.

I think this kind of vehicle is a lot closer to what people want in their cars -- with the exception of the styling. I like the proto-bullet train looks of the Mazda5, but most people look at it and see dorky minivan. If someone (Ford) can make this layout of vehicle visually appealing -- that might be where the car is headed.

Honestly, I love mine. It drives like a tall Mazda3 (meaning it's reasonably fun, if on the slow side), is useful, comfortable and affordable. An AWD, 250-ish hp version would probably be perfect for me -- and a decent replacement for what people by mid-sized cars for.

The key, I think, is a much more appealing design with the same level of function.

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    How long before the station wagon returns?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_L View Post
    How long before the station wagon returns?
    I think it will in function ... but we won't call it a station wagon and the style will need to be novel. Really, the design brief is: make a one-box design look sexy, without losing function AND without referencing a Jeep. That's what I think will 'replace' the sedan. Add fun-to-drive (not a CUV strength, generally) and I'm in.

"while we're at it, we gonna lock the barn doors, yup,
    even tho the rest of the barn burnt down after them horses all ran away..."

My Vehicle
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD , white/tan
    We may well be in the middle of a market shift but I still think cars or sedans will be relevant. They just need to be more creative with them.

hoping the most innovatively-interesting vehicles will be on the secret3rd platformitecture