Thread: Report: Lexus GS Sales Stopped in Europe

Report: Lexus GS Sales Stopped in Europe

Source: AutoVerdict
    April 1, 2018
    by Nick Saporito

Reports are surfacing in Europe that suggest the Lexus GS is being removed from the European market. The reports, from Dutch publication*AutoRAI,*alleges it has gotten confirmation from Lexus Europe that the the brand stopped taking orders for the GS in March.

This news is significant as it furthers rumors from last year suggesting Lexus is planning for the demise of the GS. The current GS dates back to 2013 and has seen only minor updates. Last year Lexus only sold 7,773 GS models in the U.S., a very minor volume to say the least.*

Rumors have suggested Lexus could drop the GS and depend solely on the ES sedan, which may be a plausible idea given consumer shifts toward utility vehicles. However, rumors have also surfaced amongst Lexus enthusiast websites that the next GS is still within the Lexus product plan. Specifically the next GS is allegedly still showing for the second quarter of 2019.**

Regardless of what the future holds for the GS nameplate, it at least appears the current GS is beginning its wind-down phase.*

Read full article at AutoVerdict

[Return to AutoVerdict blog]

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    I still remember asking last Tampa Auto Show about this and the 2 reps were in total denial about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_L View Post
    I still remember asking last Tampa Auto Show about this and the 2 reps were in total denial about it.
    The way Lincoln reps are in denial about the Continentals future? *wink*

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    The way Lincoln reps are in denial about the Continentals future? *wink*
    I was derided over at GMI for referring to (Aviator) as a concept.
    think I would like to "deride" you, too; BUT...
    The actual quote was:
    "It's a Preview, not a Concept - huge difference."
    ...I'm not sure I really know what that means /

Another sign of the decline of the sedan. I'm old enough to remember when the two-door coupe was the car of choice for most -- the top-selling car for a bunch of years was the Cutlass Supreme, usually seen in two-door form (with a half-vinyl top!). That's hard to imagine today, when two-doors are mainly limited to performance cars and high-end luxury vehicles.

I expect to see the sedan go the same way, replaced by some mutant of today's CUV. That actually makes sense to me. People want a flexible vehicle that can meet all their people and cargo-carrying needs. They want something that can deal with deteriorating roads that may not be well-served after lousy weather. And, they still want a degree of performance, style and luxury -- and there are loads of CUVs that can meet those needs.

If I were Lexus, I'd evolve the capable platform under the GS to produce a performance-oriented CUV targeting the Cayenne and X5. That's where the growth is and a raised, AWD, good-performing Lexus could do well in this market.

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
    think I would like to "deride" you, too; BUT...

...I'm not sure I really know what that means
    Ask member CJH at GMI.
    Last edited by megeebee; 04-04-2018 at 11:03 AM.