Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lincoln Continental has a Future, With Suicide Doors

My Vehicle
    2015 GMC Sierra All-Terrain

Lincoln Continental has a Future, With Suicide Doors

Source: AutoVerdict
    March 25, 2018
    by Nick Saporito

Lincoln is planning to add a throwback feature to one of its throwback nameplates: suicide doors. The next-generation sedan was reportedly shown to dealers this week at the annual NADA conference, where the car sported rear-hinged doors.*

First reported by*Automotive News*this news runs counter with other recent reports that suggested the Continental would be killed after its current model run. A dealership in the NADA meeting confirmed Lincoln executives showed off the next Continental to the group as a means of confirming the brand's commitment to its car lineup. The car shown featured rear-hinged rear doors, similar to the Continental from the 1960's.*

Continental sales have fallen 30 percent so far in 2018 as consumers flock to crossovers and SUVs. Slow sales and a general ramp up of investment into SUVs at Ford made reports of the Continental's death seem plausible.*Suffice to say, it sounds like the speculative reports surrounding the potential death of the Continental caused Lincoln to play its cards.*

In addition to the next Continental, dealerships say they were shown the upcoming Aviator Concept, which will revealed next week at the New York Auto Show. Lincoln executives also briefly mentioned an unnamed SUV that will arrive prior to 2020 and four other vehicles that will launch after 2020.*

Dealerships report leaving the meeting optimistic about the brand's future. It is reported that Lincoln executives are now targeting 300,000 global sales by the end of this decade. In comparison, Lincoln sold 188,000 vehicles globally last year.*

Read full article at AutoVerdict

[Return to AutoVerdict blog]

This is a great marketing decision. It should build upon the recognition stemming from the reintroduction of the Continental name.

My Vehicle
    2013 Ford Focus
    Thought the "Continental is killed" was a bunch of crap anyway.

Sorry kids but just because the Dealer body was shown something doesn't guarantee production reality. Automakers show their dealers lots of things to keep them rev'd up, and I think Lincoln Dealers are especially in need of it.

About 10 years ago Cadillac dealers were shown something called the DT7 and Buick dealers a "Park Avenue", both Zeta based. Neither happened.

Several years ago, Lincoln Dealers were shown a larger-than-MKS "Town Car" replacement in full production trim. That never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    Sorry kids but just because the Dealer body was shown something doesn't guarantee production reality. Automakers show their dealers lots of things to keep them rev'd up, and I think Lincoln Dealers are especially in need of it.

About 10 years ago Cadillac dealers were shown something called the DT7 and Buick dealers a "Park Avenue", both Zeta based. Neither happened.

Several years ago, Lincoln Dealers were shown a larger-than-MKS "Town Car" replacement in full production trim. That never happened.
    Just like the Elmiraj, Ciel, and Cien?

I really don't know WHAT to think about this...

the admin also expressed the opinion that a v8 belongs in a LtdEd. ...
    I'm thinking a v8 ought to be no harder than certification for retro-fitted and stretched? operadoors
    &
    I can't imagine anything More extreme engineering-wise...THO
    could definitely make a wish-List of OTHER 'extremities'
    ...easier ones!!

My Vehicle
    2012 Chevy Impala LTZ
    The suicide doors were supposed to be on the car at launch and were decided against, so the planning was already done. Wouldn't be surprised if it came to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post

My recollection of their rumour was the Buick dealers were shown a Zeta-based Park Avenue and their lack of enthusiasm for the car meant it didnít go any further. The were reportedly more enthusiastic about another big FWD car.

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    Not sure how true the suicide doors are but I still don't think they are killing off the Continental

Quote Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
    Just like the Elmiraj, Ciel, and Cien?
    No. Nice try though.

Here is a quote from the Autonews.com story (emphasis added):

http://www.autonews.com/article/2018...ntal-nada-show

During its annual make meeting Saturday, Lincoln showed dealers a photo of the Continental with the rear-hinged doors and disclosed plans to build the model, according to multiple dealers in the room who didn't want to be identified.
    There are large, essential differences here:

1: Elmiraj, Ciel, and Cien were Concepts and were never put forward or claimed as anything else.

2: They EXIST. They are more than a rumor or a picture.

3: They were shown in their entirety to the public (Not that Lincoln won't do this someday)

What ever the photo reportedly shown is/was, it is only a photograph, or photographs and shown only to a small group of people.

Take this as you want, also from Automotive News:

a Lincoln spokeswoman said. "We have nothing to announce today relative to any future products plans."

The spokeswoman declined to confirm the plans for suicide doors.
    So it may...or may not happen. It's likely that the yes-or-no decision lays with Chinese reaction to the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
    This is a great marketing decision. It should build upon the recognition stemming from the reintroduction of the Continental name.
    In the US at least, "Retro" is not long lived on the market. The "Continental" name was supposed to be golden, but as sales charts show whatever excitement it generated waned very quickly.
    Last edited by megeebee; 03-25-2018 at 11:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast