Thread: Front-Wheel Drive BMW X2 Coming to U.S.

Front-Wheel Drive BMW X2 Coming to U.S.

Source: AutoVerdict
    January 24, 2018
    by Nick Saporito

BMW has confirmed it will sell the front-wheel drive version of its new X2 crossover in the U.S. While the X2 has launched with the all-wheel drive X2 xDrive28i, the sDrive28i will arrive in the coming months, echoing its strategy with the X1.*

Thus far BMW has not confirmed the exact price for the FWD variant of the X2, the company is quoting it as about $2,000 less than the X2 xDrive28i. The AWD version carries a base price of $39,395 after destination charges.*

Buyers of the FWD version will enjoy the same turbocharged 2.0-liter engine that generates 228 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. That power will funnel through an eight-speed automatic transmission.*

Like other even-numbed "X" models, BMW has positioned the X2 as a sportier alternative to the X1 SAV. With a coupe-like greenhouse and new twist on BMW design, the company is hoping the X2 appeals to younger buyers. It is worth noting that the X2 is actually smaller than the X1 due to its sporty design.*

BMW says the X2 has received a very "optimistic" reception from dealerships and focus groups.*

Read full article at AutoVerdict

[Return to AutoVerdict blog]

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    How to make BMWs really boring in one easy step!

Here's what makes me a bit sad about BMW. The brand promise was never predicated on racing cars or track cars. It was built on small, practical, well-built cars that had sophisticated suspension, great steering and brakes, decent power and response that, taken together, would allow a rather conservative-looking, practical small sedan give a dedicated sports car a good run for its money on a twisty road. It was all the fun of a sports car with all the practicality of a small sedan.

Most of today's BMWs have lost that. They are luxury cars first. They don't have great steering anymore. They aren't terribly well-built (at least if the stories of various out-of-warranty issues are to be believed). Many of them aren't terribly fun. They are fast, for sure. But, even among their peers, it's a stretch to call them the ultimate driving machines.

Here's the deal: a small CUV that drove exceedingly well -- was lively and surprisingly swift -- is today's analog for the 2002. Imagine a premium, but affordable compact FWD/AWD CUV that could run with a Miata on a twisty road and be nearly as fun to drive, but also be a practical daily driver. That's the true heir to the 2002 in today's world. Too bad BMW seems incapable of making this vehicle!

this is the only recent pic I've seen...
    ...seems:
    Volvo greenhouse
    CitroŽn rocker bumps
    something Asian with the mismatched front

= ultimate diversity vehicle?