Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharper Edge: Ford Announces 2019 Ford Edge ST

My Vehicle
    2015 GMC Sierra All-Terrain

Sharper Edge: Ford Announces 2019 Ford Edge ST

Source: AutoVerdict
    January 11, 2018
    by Nick Saporito

Ford has officially revealed the 2019 Ford Edge ST. The new trim level brings a new boosted V-6 to the Edge lineup along with a refreshed appearance that will propagate the entire Edge lineup.*

The 2019 Edge ST marks the first Ford SUV to wear the ST badge; a badge reserved for vehicles developed with the assistance of Ford Performance. This, of course, means the Edge ST is powered exclusively by Ford's twin-turbocharged 2.7-liter EcoBoost V-6, which generates 335 horsepower 380 pound-feet of torque. This class-leading power will flow through a new 8-speed automatic transmission.*

Ford says the Edge ST will pack specific brakes and suspension tuning to mate with the beefier powertrain.*

“Edge ST puts a new animal on the road – a performance SUV with a track mentality,” said Hau Thai-Tang, executive vice president of Product Development and Purchasing. “From a performance standpoint, and with its SUV silhouette and versatility, it sets a new standard Edge fans will love to drive.”

Like all Ford ST products, the Edge ST is getting a unique look to match its more-powerful nature. A mesh grille, darkened headlights and unique 21-inch wheels highlight the new appearance on the outside. Inside, ST-badged seats and unique trim pieces remind driver's their buying the most-powerful Edge.

The ST appearance is meshing with a refreshed 2019 Edge look. The new look includes a new grille and standard LED headlight design across the entire Edge range. Interior changes are minimal from today's Edge.*

As expected from Ford, both Edge ST and Edge are gaining some new technology for 2019. Post Collision Braking, Evasive Steering Assist, enhanced adaptive cruise control and wireless device charging are among the new technology features offered on the 2019 Edge.*

Non-ST Edge models are also gaining an updated version of Ford's 2.0-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder with 5 additional horsepower and start-stop technology. The revised engine will also be paired to a new 8-speed automatic transmission.*

The 2019 Ford Edge is expected to arrive in showrooms this summer.*

Read full article at AutoVerdict

[Return to AutoVerdict blog]

My Vehicle
    08 Cobalt SS/TC. 15 XTS V-Sport. 07’ RX8. 17’ Bolt EV
    This is certainly the nail in the coffin for the Fusion. Hopefully no one was holding out hope lol.

If you're going to embrace crossovers over sedans, might as well offer an enthusiast version. Good for Ford.

I think the idea is right, but worry about the execution for an ST-badged vehicle. The existing STs (Focus, Fiesta) are both based off good handling base models with a significant upgrade in power, grip and braking.

The Edge is a bit of a snoozer even in the crossover realm. Nobody ever accused an Edge of having handling verve. It’s safe. And the previous Sport already had the TT2.7 with 315 hp, so this is a 20 hp boost compared to that.

Tuning, especially these days, can make a big difference. But this is essentially a tall, hatchback Fusion Sport — and nobody accuses that car as being a sharp driving machine.

Would love this to be a budget Porsche Macan, but it looks like a taller, heavier Fusion Sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    I think the idea is right, but worry about the execution for an ST-badged vehicle. The existing STs (Focus, Fiesta) are both based off good handling base models with a significant upgrade in power, grip and braking.

The Edge is a bit of a snoozer even in the crossover realm. Nobody ever accused an Edge of having handling verve. It’s safe. And the previous Sport already had the TT2.7 with 315 hp, so this is a 20 hp boost compared to that.

Tuning, especially these days, can make a big difference. But this is essentially a tall, hatchback Fusion Sport — and nobody accuses that car as being a sharp driving machine.

Would love this to be a budget Porsche Macan, but it looks like a taller, heavier Fusion Sport.
    Yup, it will be all in the execution. Ford has been pretty good about not screwing up the ST brand so I'm hopeful.

My Vehicle
    I'm trying to understand how Ford delineates between Sport and ST model designation now.

I mean, the Fusion Sport is pretty aggressive for its segment, yet it's just a "Sport."

My Vehicle
    2012 Chevy Impala LTZ
    Guess I was right...RIP Fusion and Taurus

Quote Originally Posted by nsaporito View Post
    I'm trying to understand how Ford delineates between Sport and ST model designation now...
    _ P O R _
    seriously, Fomoco likes word-games

elsewhere, the convo is more like: (when) Is Ford getting out of the vehicle business? ...other than F-series?
    some betting going on about Mustang either
    - getting killed
    - becoming a Cuv/Ute ...besides the Bronco

My Vehicle
    Quote Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
    _ P O R _
    seriously, Fomoco likes word-games

elsewhere, the convo is more like: (when) Is Ford getting out of the vehicle business? ...other than F-series?
    some betting going on about Mustang either
    - getting killed
    - becoming a Cuv/Ute ...besides the Bronco
    It certainly "feels" like Ford is on a quest to get out of the personal vehicle business, at least in terms of cars.

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    What happens if gas spikes again? Are these auto makers going to be caught with their pants down while Toyota and Honda thrive?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast