Thread: Alfa Romeo Working on Audi Q7 Rival

My Vehicle
    2015 GMC Sierra All-Terrain

Alfa Romeo Working on Audi Q7 Rival

Source: AutoVerdict
    December 28, 2017
    by Nick Saporito

Alfa Romeo has confirmed plans to produce a new large SUV entry. The new SUV is being benchmarked against rivals such as the Audi Q7 and Volvo XC90 and will be the first Alfa model to utilize an electrified powertrain.*

Speaking to*AutoExpress*Alfa Romeo CTO*Roberto Fedeli confirmed the brand is working on an SUV to slot above the recently-launched Stelvio. The new SUV will be built on the Giorgio platform that underpins both the Stelvio and Giulia, but this one will be stretched to accommodate seating for seven. The added wheelbase is expected to add about 400 pounds of mass over the Stelvio, but Alfa is confident it can maintain its performance DNA on what will be its largest-ever model.*

Bound by the constraints of increasing emissions standards and its self-imposed DNA, Alfa is turning to electrification for this new SUV. Fedeli confirms the brand does not feel a plug-in hybrid would marry well with the Alfa DNA. Instead, the Italian automaker is leaning towards utilizing a mild hybrid setup that uses a 48-volt electrical architecture and e-turbo. The combination will likely set atop FCA's 2.0-liter turbo four, which Fedeli says can easily generate 350 to 400 horsepower.*

Although this new Alfa SUV is under development now, it is still about two years away. In addition to the new SUV, Alfa is also working on a new version of its*Giulietta hatchback that will launch after the new SUV.*

Given global consumer shifts to SUVs and the profit potential of large luxury SUVs, it comes as little surprise Alfa Romeo is chasing this segment next.*

Read full article at AutoVerdict

[Return to AutoVerdict blog]

Quote Originally Posted by Fedeli
    ...FCA's 2.0-liter turbo four ... can easily generate 350 to 400 horsepower...
    ahhhh
    the benefits of not having a pesky reliability reputation

Quote Originally Posted by 2b2 View Post
    ahhhh
    the benefits of not having a pesky reliability reputation
    Now that the media hype has died down on Alfa's quality,has it been as bad as it has been made out to be now that it has (the hype) has quieted?.

I love the looks of Alfa's new sedan and SUV (I'm to lazy to look up the spelling of their names),but not interested in the problems that comes with them if what they (the media) has been saying is true.

^ not what you asked but...

My Vehicle
    13 300 SRT8, 09 SRX V8 Sport, E36 325, 03 Focus, 00 Mountaineer, 95 Saturn SL1
    I truly desire an inside look into FCA strategy. What manner of product planning has the less expensive product on the far superior Giorgio platform, and the Maserati product based loosely yet not admittedly on Chrysler's LY platform?