Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holden Brings Chevrolet Equinox to Australia

Holden Brings Chevrolet Equinox to Australia

Source: AutoVerdict
    November 13, 2017
    by Nick Saporito

The Holden brand has formally announced the all-new Holden Equinox. If the name sounds familiar, the look will as well. Holden's new Equinox is simply a Chevrolet Equinox with Holden badging; a sign of the times in which Holden no longer manufactures vehicles.*

Being a twin with the Chevy version isn't a bad thing, though. Like the stateside Equinox, Holden is getting all three turbocharged engine options, plus a six-speed manual gearbox on the base 1.5-liter turbocharged four. The second turbo engine is the higher-output 2.0-liter, while Australians will also gain the Equionox's 1.6-liter turbo-diesel next year.*

The three engines will scatter across six different trim levels, with LTZ-V being the capstone of the lineup, which offers all-wheel-drive as standard fare. Those six trim levels will range from*$27,990 to $46,290.*

And as noted from the below interior shot, the Holden Equinox will be offered in right-hand drive configuration.*

Read full article at AutoVerdict

[Return to AutoVerdict blog]

My Vehicle
    2013 Ford Focus
    Looks like they did the Chevy to Holden badge correctly this time.

My Vehicle
    08 Cobalt SS/TC. 15 XTS V-Sport. 07 RX8. 17 Bolt EV
    Ya'll get a manual but we can't.

It's no Commodore, but at least the Aussies are getting something new and different to them.

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    Quote Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
    It's no Commodore, but at least the Aussies are getting something new and different to them.
    and a steering wheel on the correct side for them.

Unless it's a true competitor to the LC200 it holds zero interest for me.

If it's a proper 4wd with decent GCM and competitively priced I'm very interested. Alas I suspect not

Edit: CX-5 Competitor. meh. Another model lost in a market over supplied with competitors. Good luck GM - your going to need it.
    Last edited by RedHotMike; 11-15-2017 at 03:38 AM.

My Vehicle
    14 Holden Commodore SV6 99 Subaru Impreza WRX 14 Audi A3 convertible 12 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    So along with the rest of the brave new post manufacturing Holden lineup, the Equinox has been a sales flop. In May, they sold 428 units compared with 2382 CX-5's, 2063 RAV4's, 1839 Hyundai Tuscon's and even 559 MB GLC's.

What they seem to be excelling at is mispeccing cars - mismatching luxury and safety features and even colours.

Quote Originally Posted by isszy View Post
    So along with the rest of the brave new post manufacturing Holden lineup, the Equinox has been a sales flop. In May, they sold 428 units compared with 2382 CX-5's, 2063 RAV4's, 1839 Hyundai Tuscon's and even 559 MB GLC's.

What they seem to be excelling at is mispeccing cars - mismatching luxury and safety features and even colours.
    Out of curiosity -- given the role GM played in the end of auto manufacturing in AU, do you think better-spec'd vehicles would make that much of a difference. Or, was Holden's brand so tied to homegrown manufacturing that it either needs to reestablish itself as something else (what, I'm not sure) or will ultimately fail?

Listening to AU enthusiasts online, I sense that so much of Holden's branding was rooted in being "Australian's own" that it's kind of lost its whole foundation and meaning.

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Out of curiosity -- given the role GM played in the end of auto manufacturing in AU, do you think better-spec'd vehicles would make that much of a difference. Or, was Holden's brand so tied to homegrown manufacturing that it either needs to reestablish itself as something else (what, I'm not sure) or will ultimately fail?

Listening to AU enthusiasts online, I sense that so much of Holden's branding was rooted in being "Australian's own" that it's kind of lost its whole foundation and meaning.
    Wonder if it would have done better with a Chevy badge on it instead of a Holden one.

My Vehicle
    14 Holden Commodore SV6 99 Subaru Impreza WRX 14 Audi A3 convertible 12 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post

In a large part, the second part of your statement is the case. But GM could have handled the transition so much better. Basically they alienated the core customer base by telling them that they were no longer interested in selling them cars. They actually put out statements to that effect, saying that they didn't want people who bought traditional RWD sedans. They also made statements along the lines of Australian car buyers needed to grow up and buy what GM wanted to sell them, not what they wanted to buy. They chased minority customer groups such as LGBTI which further alienated the traditional heterosexual male family man customer.

Ford seem to have survived better, making a big deal of retaining their design centre and actually listening to customers. The Mustang has been a sales success against the odds, because there are no alternatives if you want a V8. The Ranger also does very well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast