Thread: BMW 8 Series Will Start Production In 2018

BMW 8 Series Will Start Production In 2018

Source: AutoVerdict
    September 28, 2017
    by Nick Saporito

BMW Group has confirmed plans to begin production of its flagship 8 Series model in 2018 at its*Dingolfing, Germany plant.*

The new coupe and convertible will be BMW's answer to the Mercedes-Benz S Class coupe and cabriolet, a nod to BMW's renewed focus at the top-end of its model range as it looks to increase margins. BMW says it will commence 8 Series production with the coupe model next year, then add the convertible to the mix in 2019, as reported by*Automotive News.

BMW recently previewed the new 8 Series with a concept version, so the design aspect of this new model is fairly well-known at this point. From a mechanical perspective, the 8 Series is expected to share most of its powertrains with its 7 Series sedan sibling. This means everything from BMW's turbocharged 3.0-liter inline-six on up to the M760Li xDrive’s twin-turbocharged 6.6-liter V-12 will likely find their way under the 8's hood.*

An M8 is also expected with the same 600 horsepower 4.4-liter V-8 found in the all-new M5.*

It is worth noting that the*Dingolfing plant has been identified as the plant that will produce BMW's electric, autonomous model--known as iNEXT--starting in 2021. The plant is also expected to build electric powertrains for Mini models.*

BMW will reveal the production version of the new 8 Series sometime in early 2018.*

Read full article at AutoVerdict

[Return to AutoVerdict blog]

The Great White North
    Not to often I can say: Buick did it first -- and did it better. Pity it won't make production.

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    St. Petersburg, FL
    It's probably just me and I know that's the concept but something about it seems to be missing the magic the 8 series from the 80s and 90s had. The original to me was a great looking car all around.