Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next Dodge Challenger, Charger To Use Maserati Platform

My Vehicle
    2015 GMC Sierra All-Terrain

Next Dodge Challenger, Charger To Use Maserati Platform

Source: AutoVerdict
    September 19, 2017
    by Nick Saporito

It's challenging to keep up with Fiat-Chrysler's future product plans. The latest change of course appears to be with the replacement Dodge Challenger and Charger--the "LX" cars, which are reportedly going to use the Maserati Ghibli.

Automotive News future product report is the first to report the plans of spawning new Dodges from the Maserati platform in 2021. Until this report, it was widely believed the LX cars would be replaced by variants built atop the new Giorgio platform, which underpins most new Alfa Romeo products. The Ghibli platform is actually a scaled down version of the Quattroporte.

It isn't exactly clear why FCA apparently changed their mind in terms of a donor platform for the replacement cars. The Maserati platform is older than the Giorgio, so perhaps it is a more cost effective means of producing the lower-end products?

This isn't the first time FCA has messed with the future of the LX cars. FCA promised all-new versions of the LX cars for 2018 when the company rolled out their 5-year product plan in 2014.

Instead, it sounds like we'll have to make due with a refresh for all the LX cars in 2019 model year, followed by all-new ones atop the Ghibli platform in 2021.

Read full article at AutoVerdict

[Return to AutoVerdict blog]

That makes sense. As pointed out above, the Ghibli platform is older, so (hopefully) more of it's engineering overhead is already paid for. A lot of newer platform development includes information and electrical architectures to support the latest and greatest luxury features and that platform is probably getting a bit long in the tooth for luxury applications, where some sort of semi-autonomy is becoming expected. Shifting it downmarket -- where these expectations aren't quite as high -- seems like a smart move.

So, these cars do have a chance to remain RWD/AWD, which is a plus. Interesting that there is no mention of the Chrysler 300. Rumours are that car might move to a FWD/AWD platform or disappear altogether given the softness of the large sedan market.

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    That makes sense. As pointed out above, the Ghibli platform is older, so (hopefully) more of it's engineering overhead is already paid for. A lot of newer platform development includes information and electrical architectures to support the latest and greatest luxury features and that platform is probably getting a bit long in the tooth for luxury applications, where some sort of semi-autonomy is becoming expected. Shifting it downmarket -- where these expectations aren't quite as high -- seems like a smart move.

So, these cars do have a chance to remain RWD/AWD, which is a plus. Interesting that there is no mention of the Chrysler 300. Rumours are that car might move to a FWD/AWD platform or disappear altogether given the softness of the large sedan market.
    I agree on the platform they don't really have a choice if they want them to stay RWD. It will be too costly to develop their own. As for the 300 if that goes away that will leave Chrysler with just the Pacifica? How long till they shut it down...

just-imho the photo in the 300-smellyCat thread

really shows an amazing longevity for its basic design/styling = still good and even contemporary imho
    &
    if FCA makes a new Charger, doesn't that mean they could add a 300-tophat at the last minute?
    &
    Did they say whether the Maserati gets an updated platform and the poor-'Mercun-cousins get the old(current) one?
    ((got too much on my plate to know if I miss sumthin today))

My Vehicle
    2015 GMC Sierra All-Terrain
    I suspect they figured out Giorgio was going to be way too costly for Dodge products.

The LX cars are like the step children at FCA. It's sad.

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    Quote Originally Posted by nsaporito View Post
    I suspect they figured out Giorgio was going to be way too costly for Dodge products.

The LX cars are like the step children at FCA. It's sad.
    It is and they still sell decently for full size sedans compared to the competition

My Vehicle
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150 XL
    Two things.

More interior room and more trunk space.
    We would love a patrol car that is actually reliable...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_L View Post
    It is and they still sell decently for full size sedans compared to the competition
    That’s true. The challenge is they sell about as well as GM’s FWD large cars (Impala, LaCrosse, XTS) except those cars share a basic platform with a bunch of other high volume mid-sizers making them profitable (maybe!). FCA has been able to do ok with a lower volume RWD platform by using it forever. The challenge is finding a way to update these cars — which mean a lot for the Dodge brand — on a ‘new’ RWD/AWD platform without killing their margins. This might be a way to do it — with a hand-me-down luxury platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_L View Post
    They really do, but I expect that has a lot to do with how FCA markets them. FCA does a lot of things poorly (like redesigning vehicles in a timely manner), but they're excellent at advertising. I suppose they have to be out of necessity.

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    Quote Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
    They really do, but I expect that has a lot to do with how FCA markets them. FCA does a lot of things poorly (like redesigning vehicles in a timely manner), but they're excellent at advertising. I suppose they have to be out of necessity.
    A good chunk is probably fleet too sadly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast