Thread: Report: Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette Headed To Australia

My Vehicle
    2015 GMC Sierra All-Terrain

Report: Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette Headed To Australia

Source: AutoVerdict
    July 28, 2017
    by Nick Saporito

Australian publication Motoring is reporting that locals may soon have the option of purchasing Chevrolet Camaro's and Corvettes in Holden dealerships. The news would be welcomed for Australia's V-8 lovers, who have lost the locally-produced Commodore SS V-8 sedan.

According to the report, the two iconic Chevrolets will get to Australia via two very different paths. The rumored mid-engine C8 Corvette is expected to offer factory-installed right-hand-drive, enabling it to (finally) become a truly global vehicle. This means GM will export the C8 to Australia for Holden dealerships not unlike other products.

The Camaro situation is not so simple. Since the current sixth-generation car was not engineered for right-hand-drive from the factory, this limits options to getting it to the island nation. So Holden Special Vehicles (HSV) is apparently going to take care of this situation by importing the Camaro and converting it to right-hand-drive for the local market.

Given HSV needs something to replace its Commodore lineup, this seems like a plausible product for them. The report also suggests that GM product boss Mark Reuss is a fan of the idea, while local management at Holden have given it tentative approval. It is worth noting that Reuss is the former managing director of Holden.

The Camaro conversion plan is rumored to take hold after the car's expected 2019 model-year refresh. At which time the Walkinshaw Group (parent of HSV) would import SS, ZL1 and a Z28 (if offered) for conversion to the Australian market.

Technically the company can convert the Camaro without GM's support, but it would mean Walkinshaw Group would have to purchase the Camaro's at dealerships in the U.S. for retail prices, making it a rather costly venture for all involved.

Like the Camaro, the all-new C8 Corvette is slated to bow in 2019 as well. Given production of the Commodore is ending now, our Australian friends are going to have about a two-year stretch without V-8 muscle from GM, but it sounds like some indirect replacements are in the works.

Read full article at AutoVerdict

[Return to AutoVerdict blog]

My Vehicle
    2014 Subaru Outback; 2013 Honda Accord
    Australia is also getting a Holden Acadia and Holden Equinox.

They are getting some very good product from General Motors. The Camaro has turned into a legitimately good sports car.

My Vehicle
    14 Holden Commodore SV6 99 Subaru Impreza WRX 14 Audi A3 convertible 12 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Firstly, based on reasonably good intel, the Camaro is not coming. This only leaves the Corvette, which will be so far out of most punters reach they will sell in their tens.

As for the SUVs, the problem GM have is that they have poisoned the Holden name to such an extent that they will have to be so much better than the opposition and come in cheaper to stand any chance of getting any traction.

Holden's marketing department seems to be made up of a few third year uni interns at the moment and their marketing campaigns haven't landed a punch since they announced the factory closure. One of their marketing strategies has been to deliberately alienate their traditional buyers (blue & white collar family men) by advertising 'cars that are nothing like my dads' and actively pursuing the GLTB market (not that there is anything wrong with that, but painting a V8 supercar in rainbow colours one week then pink the next as a sign of equality was like a red rag to a bull at a V8 Supercar weekend).

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    Are they going to be badged as Holdens or Chevys?

My Vehicle
    14 Holden Commodore SV6 99 Subaru Impreza WRX 14 Audi A3 convertible 12 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    No idea.

I can't see the Holden badge surviving this decade. Why bother swapping badges for what will be a tiny number of vehicles in Australian terms, let alone international volumes.

As someone who's blood is red (yeah I know everyone's blood is red but Holden's colour is red, Ford's is blue) and has been a Holden tragic since I can remember (at least 45 years) this really hurts. As a kid I would cry when a Holden didn't win Bathurst and had nothing but Torana, Monaro and Commodore posters on my walls (and Samantha Fox - but that was for a different reason). To see GM turn the most recognisable car brand in Australia into one of the also-rans is really sad.

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    Quote Originally Posted by isszy View Post
    No idea.

I can't see the Holden badge surviving this decade. Why bother swapping badges for what will be a tiny number of vehicles in Australian terms, let alone international volumes.

As someone who's blood is red (yeah I know everyone's blood is red but Holden's colour is red, Ford's is blue) and has been a Holden tragic since I can remember (at least 45 years) this really hurts. As a kid I would cry when a Holden didn't win Bathurst and had nothing but Torana, Monaro and Commodore posters on my walls (and Samantha Fox - but that was for a different reason). To see GM turn the most recognisable car brand in Australia into one of the also-rans is really sad.
    That seemed to be the idea and what Mary was hinting at when she said they were looking at all markets. Just have to play it by year to see if Holden gets some sort of boost from GM or keeps withering.