Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac Boss Discusses Upcoming CT5 Sedan, Brand Future

My Vehicle
    2015 GMC Sierra All-Terrain

Cadillac Boss Discusses Upcoming CT5 Sedan, Brand Future

Source: AutoVerdict
    July 28, 2017
    by Nick Saporito

Cadillac President Johan de Nysschen has, again, spilled additional plans about Cadillac's future. Like most global brands, the brand boss has confirmed plans to realign Cadillac's sedan lineup and focus on SUVs and electrification going forward.

"We have to rebalance our sedan portfolio," Johan de Nysschen told Reuters in interview.

That rebalance is going to include an indirect replacement for three different sedans. de Nysschen confirmed plans for the upcoming Cadillac CT5 sedan to indirectly fill the role of the ATS, CTS and XTS sedans. Essentially the CT5 will be a midsize sedan that ends up being about the size of today's CTS with a slightly lower price tag. Meanwhile, the CT6 will remain at the top of the Cadillac sedan crest.

The new CT5 is expected to be produced at General Motors' Lansing Grand River Assembly plant in Lansing, Michigan. This is the same plant that is currently producing the ATS and CTS sedans, suggesting the CT5 will be built on a new version of GM's rear-wheel-drive Alpha architecture.

Cadillac will round out its three sedan lineup with a new smaller sedan to slot under the CT5. de Nysschen defied his usual and did not disclose the name for this one, but logic would suggest CT4 or CT3. He did confirm that this car, too, will be produced at the Lansing plant, again suggesting rear-wheel-drive.

While de Nysschen is making news about this "realignment," it really just sounds like the replacements for the ATS and CTS are going to adjust in terms of size and change name; something we've known for years.

Aside from the sedan plans, Cadillac also confirmed plans to launch a new compact crossover called the XT4, while the executive also went ahead and confirmed a new three-row crossover will launch in 2019. Both of these have been previously confirmed.

Where de Nysschen's typical detail-laden spill fizzled out was when the conversation shifted to Cadillac's electrification plans. Aside from saying their plan is not "dissimilar to Volvo's." Volvo recently announced it intends to have an all-electrified lineup, eventually.

Read full article at AutoVerdict

[Return to AutoVerdict blog]

My Vehicle
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150 XL
    The compact will likely be CT3. There's supposed to be a coupe/convertible car between the compact/midsize I'm assuming will be CT4.

CT5 will be on Alpha 2. I'm not really sure what's happening with a smaller car. Cadillac is all over the board on that. If it even happens, it would not shock me if it is based on a FWD architecture - if it happens.

It's obvious that Cadillac is retreating to the 1st and 2nd gen CTS strategy of offering a 5 series sized car at a 3 series price. Since GM has proven it can't take on BMW, car for car, probably a smart move.

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    CT5 will be on Alpha 2. I'm not really sure what's happening with a smaller car. Cadillac is all over the board on that. If it even happens, it would not shock me if it is based on a FWD architecture - if it happens.

It's obvious that Cadillac is retreating to the 1st and 2nd gen CTS strategy of offering a 5 series sized car at a 3 series price. Since GM has proven it can't take on BMW, car for car, probably a smart move.
    The only thing is if the smaller car happens and it's Alpha it will have an extremely cramped back seat which the ATS already has.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_L View Post
    The only thing is if the smaller car happens and it's Alpha it will have an extremely cramped back seat which the ATS already has.
    I'm wondering if Alpha 2 will be able to package better.

Quote Originally Posted by Z284ever View Post
    Seeing the performance of cars like the FocusRS and Golf R -- and even the Civic Type R -- I believe a sufficiently sophisticated FWD/AWD platform would suit a small Cadillac just fine while providing better packaging. The key is to not cheap out and just rebody a Chevy Cruze.

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Seeing the performance of cars like the FocusRS and Golf R -- and even the Civic Type R -- I believe a sufficiently sophisticated FWD/AWD platform would suit a small Cadillac just fine while providing better packaging. The key is to not cheap out and just rebody a Chevy Cruze.
    There are great technologies out there too which help a ton like torque vectoring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Agreed! ..

My Vehicle
    08 Cobalt SS/TC. 15 XTS V-Sport. 07 RX8.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_L View Post
    It will have the A3 and CLA as its competition not the always growing C and 3. GM has to look at its market which is China and the US. I don't see it as GM retreating but instead build up the luxury treatment from the ground up starting with the dealer experience which is also being addressed. If the pendulum swings back in favor of sedans then you have something to build upon. Personally I think the smaller sedan should be all electric only to go head to head with the Tesla Model 3.

My Vehicle
    2015 GMC Sierra All-Terrain
    Cadillac has generally dropped the ball in terms of product strategy. Spending a boat load on ATS/CTS/CT6, in hindsight, was a poor strategy decision when the market has shifted away from sedans. Subsequently, they've barely had a crossover presence.

They have been far too focused on emulating the Germans versus actually engaging in a product strategy that seizes on consumer shifts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast