Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revealed: 2018 Buick Regal GS

Revealed: 2018 Buick Regal GS

Source: AutoVerdict
    July 19, 2017
    by Nick Saporito

Shortly after leaking out, Buick has decided to go ahead and make the 2018 Regal GS official. Today the brand formally revealed the car, which appears to be a step above the previous GS model in terms of performance thanks to a V-6 engine.

It isn't often we get to write about an automaker bringing back or adding a V-6 engine offering to a midsize sedan, but we can say it today. After disappointing many fans last time around by offering the Regal GS with a turbo four, Buick is mending fences this time by bringing the 3.6-liter V-6 to the GS. The V-6 will hammer out 310 horsepower and 282 pound-feet of torque. This sizable increase in power is going to flow through a new nine-speed automatic transmission - no manual option this time.

Regal GS' power will hit the pavement via all four wheels with a new intelligent, twin-clutch all-wheel-drive system that works in conjunction with a new version of Regal's Continuous Damper Control and Interactive Drive Control systems. Combined, the systems provide various modes to change the car's behavior, including the "GS" mode that made the previous version of the car famous.

“With the all-new 2018 Regal GS, we set out to make a driver-focused, engaging and entertaining sport sedan without sacrificing the smooth ride and refined character expected of any modern Buick,” said Martin Hayes, chief engineer for the Buick Regal GS. “Our new V-6 and nine-speed transmission, intelligent AWD and CDC all work to deliver excellent driving performance.”

From a design perspective, the GS treatment is not unlike the previous Regal GS. New vertical "fangs" highlight an exterior design that features more aggressive traits like a darkened grille and subtle body kit. The Regal's Brembo brakes also feature red calipers to remind folks this isn't grandma's Buick.

Inside Buick has upped the ante a bit as well. While the old Regal GS featured sport seats that were not that unique, the new one is featuring AGR-certified performance seats that offer cooling, heat and massage functionality. They also look far more aggressive than the old version. Unique trim pieces and a flat-bottom steering wheel round out the interior differences over the base Regal Sportback.

We also already know the price difference. Buick says the 2018 Regal GS will start at $33,990 (with destination charges). While that's an $8,000 premium over the regular Regal, there's really no disputing that on paper the new GS is probably a remarkable value. We look forward to testing this one out.

Read full article at AutoVerdict

[Return to AutoVerdict blog]
    Last edited by nsaporito; 07-19-2017 at 04:45 PM.

Based on what I've read elsewhere on the Regal, this will likely be one of the heavier variants. And while this will be lighter than the last GS, which was over 4000 lbs in AWD form, it will still likely be in the 3700 - 3800 lb neighbourhood. Three hundred and ten horsepower and less than 300 ft-lbs of torque aren't going to give this any more umfph than the lighter Turbo Malibu or the forthcoming 2.0T Accord Sport (which can be had with a 6-speed stick).

Hope GM has done it's typically magical job in chassis tuning. Otherwise, may be a bit disappointing for enthusiasts.

My Vehicle
    2019 Ram 1500, 1969 GMC 2500
    Also, GM's press release says the price will be $39,990. That's a hunk of change, but might be worth it. I like it already.

My Vehicle
    2015 GMC Sierra All-Terrain
    Quote Originally Posted by NoStopN View Post
    Also, GM's press release says the price will be $39,990. That's a hunk of change, but might be worth it. I like it already.
    My brain saw what it wanted to see, I think.

For me this is a way to easy pass. There is nothing being offered that has me wanting it. I find the engine lacking in torque,the styling is beyond bland I actually like the previous gen GS alot better than this.

Looks like I'll look elsewhere for something with some more spice to it. The KIA Stinger looks pretty good and as a plus it's RWD. I also am not opposed to the Lincoln MKZ either I didn't enjoy my loaner that I had,but with 400hp......I can overlook my minor first world problems with it.

Sorry Buick you're just not the brand for me anymore....

My Vehicle
    08 Cobalt SS/TC. 15 XTS V-Sport. 07’ RX8. 17’ Bolt EV
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Based on what I've read elsewhere on the Regal, this will likely be one of the heavier variants. And while this will be lighter than the last GS, which was over 4000 lbs in AWD form, it will still likely be in the 3700 - 3800 lb neighbourhood. Three hundred and ten horsepower and less than 300 ft-lbs of torque aren't going to give this any more umfph than the lighter Turbo Malibu or the forthcoming 2.0T Accord Sport (which can be had with a 6-speed stick).

Hope GM has done it's typically magical job in chassis tuning. Otherwise, may be a bit disappointing for enthusiasts.
    Most enthusiasts wont consider the Regal in the fist place. Now for everyone else the available options, look and feel of the Regal GS will impress over the likes of the TLX or loaded Maxima.

Quote Originally Posted by CobaltSSKing View Post
    Most enthusiasts wont consider the Regal in the fist place. Now for everyone else the available options, look and feel of the Regal GS will impress over the likes of the TLX or loaded Maxima.
    That's probably a smarter way to look at the Regal than my enthusiast's lens. The last Regal sold about 20,000 cars per calendar year (according to Good Car Bad Car). The Maxima is more in the 50-60K neighbourhood. If the new Regal can grab a bit more of that market and edge up to the 30K per year (with good margins), that's probably a solid base hit for Buick. Given the attractiveness of the car, the utility of the hatchback and the availability of AWD, that doesn't seem like an unreasonable goal.

Car and Driver's initial impressions:

"The 3.6-liter V-6 is eager to rev and sounds throaty, while the nine-speed automatic is programmed intelligently and always seems to be in the right gear. Paddle shifters are a notable omission, but at least the transmission won’t shift on its own in manual mode. The steering is weighted much more heavily than in the Sportback and offers better on-center feel and sharper turn-in. The standard adaptive dampers help the GS feel considerably more buttoned down through bumpy corners."

They also drive the base car and TourX.

My Vehicle
    2014 Subaru Outback; 2013 Honda Accord
    I love the styling, but I would prefer to see at least 350-400 horsepower. I'm sure Buick has done an excellent job with tuning this car, and the lighter chassis with the more powerful engine is likely going to make this a better performer than its predecessor.

I'd probably buy one over the Acura or Volvo competitors - but I'm partial to the TourX model.

For reference:

Acura TLX A Spec has a 295 horsepower engine
    Volvo S60 T6 has a 305 horsepower engine.
    Lincoln MKZ can be optioned up to 400 horsepower

My Vehicle
    2014 Subaru Outback; 2013 Honda Accord

I don't usually like bright colors, but that is a nice look.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast