Thread: Volkswagen Touareg Pulled From U.S. Lineup

My Vehicle
    2015 GMC Sierra All-Terrain

Volkswagen Touareg Pulled From U.S. Lineup

Source: AutoVerdict
    July 11, 2017
    by Nick Saporito

Volkswagen has confirmed plans to eliminate the Touareg SUV from the company's 2018 lineup in the U.S. The Touareg first launched in 2004 as one of the first car-like premium SUVs on the U.S. market, but the market has changed and American's still can't pronounce TOUR-EGG anyway.

Actually the primary reason the Touareg is getting pulled from the U.S. is because VW is in the process of overhauling its lineup. The all-new Tiguan crossover is rolling out now with a longer stance and far more cargo area than the outgoing model. The new Tiguan paired with the all-new Atlas SUV--tailor made for the U.S. market-- at the top-end has VW feeling like they have the market covered now.

The other element at play here is the Touareg's sales numbers. Year-to-date VW dealers have moved fewer than 1,700 Touareg models in the U.S., a double-digit decline from 2016. Part of the reason for slow sales may be due to its starting price tag, which is just above $50,000.

Despite the Touareg's death, Volkswagen won't be reduced to two SUV models for long. The company plans to eventually sell the upcoming sub-compact T-Roc crossover in North America to cover the low-end of the market.

Read full article at AutoVerdict

[Return to AutoVerdict blog]

My Vehicle
    2012 Chevy Impala LTZ
    Hmmm wonder if the dieselgate issue had some impact on this. Know some folks who had the diesel versions who swore them off after that. First gen electrical problems didn't help either

My Vehicle
    2013 Ford Focus
    Its weird timing considering there is an all new one right around the corner.