Thread: Microbus Return? VW Confirms ID Buzz Production

My Vehicle
    2015 GMC Sierra All-Terrain

Microbus Return? VW Confirms ID Buzz Production

Source: AutoVerdict
    June 19, 2017
    by Nick Saporito

Rumors of the return of the iconic Volkswagen Microbus are the thing of legends in this business. However, the speculation may finally be able to be put to rest as AutoExpress is reporting VW has confirmed plans to produce the electric ID Buzz Concept.

VW boss Herbert Diess recently spoke to the publication at the reveal of the VW Polo. While speaking, Diess did not menace his words when it came to confirming VW's plans for the ID Buzz: "Emotional cars are very important for the brand. We are selling loads of Beetles still, particularly in US markets. But we will also have the Microbus that we showed, which we have recently decided we will build."

Not only did the executive confirm plans to build the concept car, but also name-dropped Microbus in the same sentence!

The ID Buzz Concept was shown earlier this year at the Detroit Auto Show. It is part of a series of battery-electric vehicle concepts the company has shown to preview its mostly-electric future. Rumors of the ID Buzz's production status have bubbled up several times since the reveal.

Expect the production version of the ID Buzz to be build off Volkswagen's MEB architecture, which is slated to underpin nearly all of the company's electric vehicles. The MEB allows the company to get the design proportions correct in order to pay proper homage to the original T1 and T2 Microbus.

Expect further details on the resurrected Microbus to trickle out in the coming months, including a time line as to when it will glide into VW showrooms.

Read full article at AutoVerdict

[Return to AutoVerdict blog]

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    Oh boy microbus rumors that's only been going on since forever!

My Vehicle
    2013 Ford Focus
    This was the fourth concept. Still not sold they will produce anything.

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    Quote Originally Posted by arutherford View Post
    This was the fourth concept. Still not sold they will produce anything.
    I think the 2001 concept was the best of them but still 4 concepts of the same model with nothing materializing is insane.

My Vehicle
    08 Cobalt SS/TC. 15 XTS V-Sport. 07 RX8.
    We are finally getting a mid engine Vette. I guess it's time for this thing to get built.

My Vehicle
    2015 GMC Sierra All-Terrain
    I could see myself buying this as a play vehicle or something.