Thread: Cadillac CTS Talks To Traffic Lights

Cadillac CTS Talks To Traffic Lights

Source: AutoVerdict
    May 30, 2017
    by Nick Saporito

Cadillac is currently testing the ability to have its vehicles communicate with traffic lights. The testing is occurring just outside General Motors' Warren, Michigan campus, where certain Cadillac CTS testers are talking to the traffic lights, showcasing vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2I) technology.

Cadillac recently announced it would be among the first automakers to have vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) communications as standard equipment on the 2017 CTS sedan. Today's announcement builds off of the brand's V2V technology by expanding it to infrastructure such as traffic lights, which is largely considered a next iteration of the technology.

During the tests the traffic lights notify the CTS of their status, the car can then tell the driver if they are at risk of running the light or they will have time to get through before it goes red. Cadillac is quick to point out that the car never transmits and identifiably data about the car to the traffic light, meaning it is still up to red light cameras to catch your identity if you run it.

The system works by utilizing a Dedicated Short-Range Communication (DSRC) protocol between the car and the traffic lights. The communication between the two entities is governed by a firewall for cyber security measures. They can communicate up to 1,000 feet.

Currently the trials taking place in the Detroit metro area are being conducted with cooperation of some of Michigan's road agencies. It is unclear the tests will be expanded to more areas or if Cadillac will be rolling out the technology anytime soon.

Read full article at AutoVerdict

[Return to AutoVerdict blog]

My Vehicle
    08 Cobalt SS/TC. 15 XTS V-Sport. 07 RX8.
    Even though all of the next gen models aren't here yet it's good to see new tech is still being unveiled on older models. I'm still wanting to see the changes that were made to the infotainment system.

The CTS would probably say: "Please buy me".

My Vehicle
    2014 Subaru Outback; 2013 Honda Accord
    We are getting very close to Cadillacs that can drive on streets with traffic signals autonomously.

I would bet that the next generation Super Cruise has that functionality.