Thread: Mitsubishi Could Shave Two Doors Off The Eclipse Cross

My Vehicle
    2015 GMC Sierra All-Terrain

Mitsubishi Could Shave Two Doors Off The Eclipse Cross

Source: AutoVerdict
    March 13, 2017
    by Nick Saporito

Just last week Mitsubishi took the wraps off the new Eclipse Cross compact crossover. The new ute is reviving a storied nameplate with the typical four-door crossover motif, but Mitsubishi says more variants of the Eclipse Cross are possible, including a three-door model.

Mitsubishi’s Program Director C and D-segment vehicles, Hiroshi Yamauchi told Australia's Motoring that the company has several options on the table when it comes to future variants of the Eclipse Cross, with one of the most obvious ones being a performance model that revives another old name: Ralliart.

“I think that is one option, but first I want to get the feedback from the market and then I will decide which direction should be on the life-cycle management,” Yamauchi said.

He went on to explain that the company will likely want to take about a year to get feedback on the new Eclipse Cross prior to making any firm decisions on new variants. That said, he explicitly mentioned a coupe version of the crossover.

“Three-door version is interesting, that is my opinion,” he told Motoring.

“But business-wise it is difficult due to small unit volume. If we want to develop a three-door version I need much more investment – a lot of money. To get more investment we need much more volume all over the world. So at this moment I think it would be very difficult to develop a three-door version.”

In general, a three-door crossover seems like an outlandish idea at this point. However, the increased interest in SUVs and crossovers on a global scale could ultimately mean there's a bit of a market white-space for Mitsubishi to seize on with a crossover coupe.

Read full article at AutoVerdict

[Return to AutoVerdict blog]

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    eh why bother