Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 2018 Holden Commodore Sails in from Europe

  1. #1
    Senior Editor arutherford's Avatar
    My Vehicle
    2013 Ford Focus
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Death Valley, USA
    Posts
    703

    2018 Holden Commodore Sails in from Europe

    Source: AutoVerdict
    December 6, 2016
    by Austin Rutherford


    Soon, local Australian automobile manufacturing will be but a memory. Ford closed its local production down this year and Toyota and General Motors' Holden follows next year.

    Unlike Ford's Falcon though, Holden is not interested in killing off the Commodore nameplate. Its solution: rebadge the Opel/Vauxhall Insignia and ship it in from Europe.

    This might be slightly confusing for Australians for the current generation Insignia is sold besides the current Commodore as a Holden.

    What might be the most damaging feature is that the Commodore will be switching from rear-wheel-drive to front-wheel-drive. Holden is trying to offset this loss my tailoring the vehicle to Australian-driving tastes, offering all-wheel-drive, and loading it with technology. In fact, Holden calls this the most technologically advanced Holden ever produced.

    The body is an exact rebadge of the Opel/Vauxhall Insignia and that should carry over as well for the next generation Buick Regal. The sleek almost four-door coupe profile will definitely turn some heads.

    Two powertrains will be offered including an I4 Turbo and a V6.

    We will get more info on the next generation Commodore has it gets closer to launch.

    Read full article at AutoVerdict

    [Return to AutoVerdict blog]

  2. #2
    Senior Member Dequindre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    342
    That's a gorgeous car! I look forward to seeing them here as Buicks.

  3. #3
    Senior Editor mrickan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    439
    Very striking.

    It will be interesting to see if the Holden crowd warms up to imported styling.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Andrew_L's Avatar
    My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    1,508
    Quote Originally Posted by mrickan View Post
    Very striking.

    It will be interesting to see if the Holden crowd warms up to imported styling.
    That and the FWD

  5. #5
    Junior Member RedHotMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    15
    I'm slap bang in the demographic of a current Commodore buyer and have owned every model save VH and VF, mostly from the performance end of the model spectrum. Import or local with this car isn't the concern. The car looks great and the tech/interior appears to be right up there to match. Pitty the drive train is such a disaster. There is no appeal what so ever. On current offerings the choices are 300C or Mustang. Of those I'd probably choose a stang.
    Last edited by RedHotMike; 12-08-2016 at 04:13 AM.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Andrew_L's Avatar
    My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    1,508
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHotMike View Post
    I'm slap bang in the demographic of a current Commodore buyer and have owned every model save VH and VF, mostly from the performance end of the model spectrum. Import or local with this car isn't the concern. The car looks great and the tech/interior appears to be right up there to match. Pitty the drive train is such a disaster. There is no appeal what so ever. On current offerings the choices are 300C or Mustang. Of those I'd probably choose a stang.
    I imagine he 300 is pricier than the Mustang plus on top of that the 300 is getting old.

  7. #7
    Senior Member ScarredKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Elgin IL
    Posts
    190
    I like the design ... but not the FWD, in so many ways. SMH. Shame they're doing that to that nameplate, too.


    Cort, www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
    pig&cowValves.paceMaker * 1979 CC to 2003 MGM + 81mc
    "You can say there's no such thing as Santa" | Elmo'N'Patsy | 'Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer'

  8. #8
    Member isszy's Avatar
    My Vehicle
    14 Holden Commodore SV6 99 Subaru Impreza WRX 14 Audi A3 convertible 12 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_L View Post
    I imagine he 300 is pricier than the Mustang plus on top of that the 300 is getting old.
    Nope - 300 is $40K - $70K, Mustang is $50K to $85K.

    Unlike Mike where it is built does matter to me. I actually like the product and it would fit me well but I won't buy another GM product because of the way they have treated the Australian automotive industry.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Andrew_L's Avatar
    My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    1,508
    Quote Originally Posted by isszy View Post
    Nope - 300 is $40K - $70K, Mustang is $50K to $85K.

    Unlike Mike where it is built does matter to me. I actually like the product and it would fit me well but I won't buy another GM product because of the way they have treated the Australian automotive industry.
    wow I really thought the 300 would have been more. Interesting!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •