Thread: Ending An Era: Chevrolet Impala Production Ends

Ending An Era: Chevrolet Impala Production Ends

Source: AutoVerdict
    February 28, 2020
    by Nick Saporito

Mark the day. On February 27, 2020 the last Chevrolet Impala exited the Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly plant, effectively closing the chapter on one of the longest-running nameplates in automotive.*

We knew the end was coming. Actually, Impala production was supposed to halt two other times in the last year, but GM kept giving it a reprieve. However,*The Detroit News*reports the assembly line at D-Ham has gone quiet, with Impala and Cadillac CT6 production officially over.*

GM is closing the metro Detroit assembly plant for several months to retool it for production of battery-electric vehicles. Specifically, this plant will build a lineup of SUV's and trucks, including the confirmed GMC Hummer EV pickup that GM is already teasing. The plant's original fate prior to a new union deal inked late last year was permanent closure, so the small break is much more palatable for its workforce.*

It's entirely unknown if there's any sort of future for the Impala nameplate at Chevy. Given the global shift away from sedans and towards utility vehicles, if there is a future for it, it's likely a long way off. Though it is worth mentioning this isn't the first time the Impala name has been axed, only to return again.*

Read full article at AutoVerdict

[Return to AutoVerdict blog]

My Vehicle
    2012 Chevy Impala LTZ
    I've had two - a 2003 and 2012. 0 complaints about either. In fact, my 2012 came with the 310hp 3.6 and a 6 speed and with an engine tune is pretty peppy. Honestly an AWD variant with the TTV6 was a missed opportunity on this or rebadging the Commodore and offering AWD. Sad day for an historic nameplate...hope it never becomes an SUV name

My Vehicle
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD , white/tan
    I might just have to shed a tear