Thread: Official: Rivian to Build Electric Lincoln SUV for Ford

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Official: Rivian to Build Electric Lincoln SUV for Ford

https://www.motortrend.com/news/offi...y-ev-suv-ford/

We kinda saw the rumors for this over the past year or so but now it's official.

Something else from this article though:
    "Meanwhile, Lincoln will stop making the MKZ sedan at the end of the year at the Hermosillo, Mexico, assembly plant, which will be retooled to make the next-generation Transit Connect small commercial van."

This is disappointing my MKZ is now at 72k miles I will probably be replacing it next year and was hoping for a new Z or what ever name it would get and hoping it would go to CD6. Sedans still have a place in the luxury market and I am just not a crossover guy. I can probably get a left over or CPO again guess I will have to see when I get to that bridge.

Is the new Explorer the first vehicle on CD6? Seems like a pretty robust, flexible platform for larger sedans/coupes/crossovers. If Lincoln is to do sedans, I'm guessing it would focus on one larger, grand sedan like the next Continental (if that survives). I can't imagine there's a lot of business to be done across the sedan range -- there's no growth there and the incumbents have locked in the market (BMW, Mercedes, Audi). I imagine Genesis will have an uphill battle with the G70, even with its attractive pricing.

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Is the new Explorer the first vehicle on CD6? Seems like a pretty robust, flexible platform for larger sedans/coupes/crossovers. If Lincoln is to do sedans, I'm guessing it would focus on one larger, grand sedan like the next Continental (if that survives). I can't imagine there's a lot of business to be done across the sedan range -- there's no growth there and the incumbents have locked in the market (BMW, Mercedes, Audi). I imagine Genesis will have an uphill battle with the G70, even with its attractive pricing.
    Explorer and Aviator are the first 2 on CD6

If you want to stay relevant in the sedan market you need electrification if they were to do a new Continental on CD6 it would need a grand touring setup or total EV

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_L View Post
    Explorer and Aviator are the first 2 on CD6

If you want to stay relevant in the sedan market you need electrification if they were to do a new Continental on CD6 it would need a grand touring setup or total EV
    Well, the Aviator plug-in has huge torque and some EV range. That might be interesting in something a little lighter (both from a performance and efficiency point of view). What's missing for Lincoln right now is some kind of driver assist that's as good as Autopilot or SuperCruise. They really need it as it fits within their comfortable, powerful, road-eater definition of luxury.