Thread: Report: New Nissan Z-Car Coming Next Year

Report: New Nissan Z-Car Coming Next Year

Source: AutoVerdict
    October 24, 2019
    by Nick Saporito

The current Nissan 370Z has been gracing Nissan showrooms since 2009 with minimal updates. What was originally a homage to the Datsun 240Z has become an outdated sports coupe, but Nissan is apparently going to address this issue in 2020.*

According to*MotorTrend, Nissan is planning to rollout a new Z Car next year. This news comes after the publication visited with one of the company's executives at the recent Tokyo Motor Show.*

"We are not forgetting about Z," Ivan Espinosa, corporate vice president of global and Japan product planning, tells*MotorTrend*in an interview at the Tokyo Motor Show. "It is one of our emblematic cars."*

Nissan has already dropped the roadster version of the 370Z for the 2020 model year, leaving just the coupe version. Espinosa hinted to*MotorTrend*the company sees higher global demand for a coupe version than it does for a convertible, which makes a strong implication the next Z Car will be coupe-only.*

Speaking of the next Z, rumors point to the car being named the 400Z. Such a nameplate would imply the displacement of the car's V-6 will be increased to 4.0 from today's 3.7-liter. Despite the rumors, Espinosa and other Nissan executives remain coy about the name or powertrain of the car. Espinosa was willing confirm that the final design of the new Z is still not completely locked in, though.*

Given the car's design isn't even fully locked, it's unlikely we'll see production of a new Z commence next year. It sounds more likely that Nissan will either show a concept version of debut the production car later in 2020.*

Read full article at AutoVerdict

[Return to AutoVerdict blog]

I think Nissan can go two ways with this car -- low volume, high margin 'heritage' car aimed at an older audience -- including some former potential 'Vette buyers turned off my that car's shift to mid-engine. In that case, a big displacement 6 with ~400 hp and stunning styling and probably a shift up in price.

Or, it can use it as a low volume, high tech showcase. In that case, using the building blocks from the Leaf for a performance platform. Think dual motor (~430 hp and a whole lot of torque) with a big enough battery pack to offer useful range (~250 miles). That would be a great halo car for Nissan, and a two-seat performance vehicle is often going to be a second car anyway, meaning challenges for coast-to-coast driving are less.

If I was Nissan, I'd look to the future and go with the second option, but there may be a profitable spot in the market for the first approach -- but the styling needs to be right on the money and age better than the current car.

My Vehicle
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD , white/tan
    I think Nissan can go two ways with this car -- low volume, high margin 'heritage' car aimed at an older audience -- including some former potential 'Vette buyers turned off my that car's shift to mid-engine. In that case, a big displacement 6 with ~400 hp and stunning styling and probably a shift up in price.
    This is what I would like to see them do considering the market and what Corvette became.