Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: M is for More: BMW Shows off M8 Grand Coupe Concept

  1. #1
    News Dispatcher AutoVerdict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    5,352

    M is for More: BMW Shows off M8 Grand Coupe Concept

    Source: AutoVerdict
    March 6, 2018
    by Nick Saporito


    BMW's looking to bookend the top of its lineup with a proposed M8 Grand Coupe. Shown in concept form at the Geneva Motor Show, this concept is living up to the letter: more of everything.*

    The new 8 Series has already been confirmed for production in coupe form, but this is the first time we've seen a new 8 with four doors. As such, BMW says this car is further proving the brand's intent to make the 8 Series be the flagship of the brand and usher in a new design language.*

    “The BMW 8 Series will take over as the new flagship model of the BMW line-up and, as such, combines unsurpassed sportiness and elegance,” said BMW VP, Adrian van Hooydonk. “The BMW Concept M8 Gran Coupe offers a look ahead to the most exotic and alluring variant of the new BMW 8 Series.”

    From a styling perspective, the M8 Grand Coupe looks just like other 8 Series concepts that BMW has released. The same sweeping roofline is in tow, only elongated to accommodate the added doors.

    So far BMW hasn't offered up much in the way of detail on this concept. Nonetheless, one can safely assume it is previewing two new products for BMW. It's previewing the idea of a new M8 version of the revived 8 Series and gauging interest in an 8 Series Grand Coupe variant.*

    Both variants are highly likely for production, clearly.*

    Read full article at AutoVerdict

    [Return to AutoVerdict blog]

  2. #2
    Senior Member Tone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    692
    Not bad. I think it actually works better proportionally than the two-door concept, although it's also a bit less striking. But, if BMW will now put a more aggressive, performance-oriented car as it's flagship, does that mean a return to form for its more pedestrian models?

  3. #3
    Senior Member CobaltSSKing's Avatar
    My Vehicle
    08 Cobalt SS/TC. 15 XTS V-Sport. 07’ RX8. 17’ Bolt EV
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Garden Grove, CA
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Not bad. I think it actually works better proportionally than the two-door concept, although it's also a bit less striking. But, if BMW will now put a more aggressive, performance-oriented car as it's flagship, does that mean a return to form for its more pedestrian models?
    I don’t think so. This should be a M5 straight up. BMW have gone completely soft with the 3,5 and 7.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Tone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by CobaltSSKing View Post
    I don’t think so. This should be a M5 straight up. BMW have gone completely soft with the 3,5 and 7.
    Funny, as I was reading about the M8, I was thinking: where would this leave the M5? Historically, the M5 has been BMW's ultimate performance sedan. If the M8 offers more: power, features, striking design, where would the leave the M5? Would it return to its roots as true four-door sports car (e.g. lighter, more tactile, less compromised on the luxury front)? Or, would it now have to cede all the 'good stuff' to the M8 and essentially become a middle child between the M3 and M8?

  5. #5
    Senior Member CobaltSSKing's Avatar
    My Vehicle
    08 Cobalt SS/TC. 15 XTS V-Sport. 07’ RX8. 17’ Bolt EV
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Garden Grove, CA
    Posts
    218
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone View Post
    Funny, as I was reading about the M8, I was thinking: where would this leave the M5? Historically, the M5 has been BMW's ultimate performance sedan. If the M8 offers more: power, features, striking design, where would the leave the M5? Would it return to its roots as true four-door sports car (e.g. lighter, more tactile, less compromised on the luxury front)? Or, would it now have to cede all the 'good stuff' to the M8 and essentially become a middle child between the M3 and M8?
    The M5 would have to be more engaging and connected to the road than the M8. Being lighter and more track focused. By offering a manual option on the M5 vs the auto only M8 would also be a plus. Its a smh moment when you have to reference Honda and there ability to offer a manual trans in so many models.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Andrew_L's Avatar
    My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Posts
    1,496
    Wish this was a 2 door only.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •