Thread: Volvo Selling Thousands of Self-Driving Vehicles to Uber

My Vehicle
    2015 GMC Sierra All-Terrain

Volvo Selling Thousands of Self-Driving Vehicles to Uber

Source: AutoVerdict
    November 20, 2017
    by Nick Saporito

Volvo Cars has announced it is selling tens of thousands of self-driving vehicles to Uber. The agreement calls for the company to supply the ride-hailing firm with base model vehicles that come from the factory with "core" autonomous driving technology installed.*

According to Volvo, the company will begin supplying Uber with vehicles in 2019 and will continue to do so through 2021. The agreement between the two firms is non-exclusive and Uber is pointing out that it will be putting its own self-driving technology on top of the "core" fitted by Volvo at the factory.* Subsequently, Volvo will continue developing its own self-driving technology independent of Uber.*

This agreement is a continuation of a relationship between the two firms that began back in 2016 when Volvo began supplying Uber with vehicles to use for self-driving tech testing.*

Read full article at AutoVerdict

[Return to AutoVerdict blog]

...Uber is pointing out that it will be putting its own self-driving technology on top of the "core" fitted by Volvo at the factory...
    granted I don't actually believe that true A.I is even POSSIBLE
    (just neural networks and expert systems that PRETEND to RESEMBLE awareness of surroundings)
    but
    'ADDING' anything to an engineered system and LYING about it improving function is like
    seriously being convinced a "thinking cap" works

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    I am guessing this will be aimed at big cities only. Is there anywhere where driver-less cars are illegal or are they good to go with this?

^ afaik, localities(states?) have to specifically allow driverless vehicles - I know Nevada (which will do ANYthing for a buck) passed legislation allowing it some time ago.
    IIRC, SanFrancisco(all Cali?) allows it (maybe with a human on board to take control?) and some place(s) back East...