Thread: Volvo Trademarks S50 Name

Volvo Trademarks S50 Name

Source: AutoVerdict
    July 30, 2017
    by Nick Saporito

Volvo has filed a trademark application for the vehicle name S50. As usual, it's difficult to read too much into trademark filings, but they are fun to speculate about.

There's never been a Volvo S50, so whatever vehicle could bear this name would be an all-new take for the brand. Given Volvo's nomenclature, S50 would obviously slot between the 40 and 60 series vehicles. The 40 and 60 series Volvo's are already fairly close from a size perspective, so it seems unlikely Volvo would roll out an S50 sedan that fits in the tight gap between 40 and 60.

Swede Speed points out the possibility that perhaps the S50 would be a coupe version of the S40 or S60. There has been no official word regarding Volvo returning to the coupe segment, but it is possible given the brand's fairly aggressive expansion in recent years.

It is worth noting previous Volvo coupes carried a "C" in their name, though.

As usual, this trademark filing is creating more questions than it is answering. Nonetheless, this is what's known for now.

Read full article at AutoVerdict

[Return to AutoVerdict blog]

My Vehicle
    2014 Subaru Outback; 2013 Honda Accord
    Volvo's S60 needs to grow a bit IMO. It looks small and cheap.

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    Considering how poorly sedans are selling I don't see how an S50 would work unless the S60 grows and the S40 either shrinks considerably or goes away all together.

Then there is the possibility it could be a coupe. Again not really a great seller.

My Vehicle
    2014 Subaru Outback; 2013 Honda Accord
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_L View Post
    Considering how poorly sedans are selling I don't see how an S50 would work unless the S60 grows and the S40 either shrinks considerably or goes away all together.

Then there is the possibility it could be a coupe. Again not really a great seller.
    The S90 appears huge, but it is actually not that roomy. I don't think there is much room to expand the S60.

Didn't Volvo have a hatchback model a few years back? Maybe that is what the S50 will be as well.

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    Quote Originally Posted by member12 View Post
    The S90 appears huge, but it is actually not that roomy. I don't think there is much room to expand the S60.

Didn't Volvo have a hatchback model a few years back? Maybe that is what the S50 will be as well.
    Yea the C30 it was a funky little car. I think it would actually look pretty good with the new front end.