Thread: Volvo XC60 Will Basically Steer Itself

Volvo XC60 Will Basically Steer Itself

Source: AutoVerdict
    February 28, 2017
    by Nick Saporito

Volvo is set to debut its new XC60 at next week's Geneva Motor Show. The all-new crossover is also going to debut new technology that will actively steer the vehicle to avoid hazards, which is part of Volvo's goal to have nobody die in its vehicles by 2020.

Many vehicles today have steering assist systems that will guide the vehicle back into lane or steer into a parking spot. Apparently Volvo is taking this approach a step further on the XC60 by allowing it to steer away from potential impacts.

The system will work in tandem with Volvo's auto-braking system. So in the event the car feels it is going to have a head-on collision with something, it may determine it's best to steer the XC60 away from the impact versus solely relying on the brakes to miss the danger.

Another element of the system will work in conjunction with the blind spot monitoring system. When the BLIS detects a vehicle in the XC60's blind spot zone, the vehicle will steer the vehicle back in its own lane if the driver attempts to exit the lane on the side of the hazard.

“In Sweden alone we have seen a decline of around 45% in rear-end frontal crashes thanks to our collision warning with auto brake system,” said Malin Ekholm, Volvo’s senior director at it safety centre. “With the XC60 we are determined to take the next step in reducing avoidable collisions with the addition of steering support and assistance systems.”

Read full article at AutoVerdict

[Return to AutoVerdict blog]

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    Volvo's goal to have nobody die in its vehicles by 2020
    Bold claim. What if they get side swiped at an intersection by an 18 wheeler or somehow manage to drive it off a cliff?

My Vehicle
    2015 GMC Sierra All-Terrain
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_L View Post
    Bold claim. What if they get side swiped at an intersection by an 18 wheeler or somehow manage to drive it off a cliff?
    I believe the goal even in that case is for the passengers to live.

I want to know if the system is smart enough to look before it steers away from something. I'm assuming it is, but steering away from one hazard in favor of hitting something else doesn't seem wise.

My Vehicle
    2013 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
    Quote Originally Posted by nsaporito View Post
    I believe the goal even in that case is for the passengers to live.

I want to know if the system is smart enough to look before it steers away from something. I'm assuming it is, but steering away from one hazard in favor of hitting something else doesn't seem wise.
    I was thinking that as well. I imagine it would need sensors / cameras all around to achieve that.

sensors are easy

the software is (near)impossible

& (pet peeve)
    the term 'Artificial Intelligence' is a flat-out lie